Cup Report

Last updated: June 27th, 2020.

Denny King Memorial Under 21 Cup Final

In an exciting match at AFC Hornchurch on Tuesday evening, FC Clacton completed the League and Cup double with a 2 – 1 win over Ryan F.C..

FC Clacton went ahead after 22 minutes when Sam Thompson bundled the ball over the line following a corner

On 38 minutes the lead was doubled when Luke Barnard slotted home from the penalty spot.

The goal of the night came from the boot of Robert Mensah on 80 minutes. Robert picked up the ball 30 yards out from goal on the right wing, cut inside and let fly with a shot that sailed into the top corner of the goal to make the final score 2 – 1.

Senior League Cup Final

Kelvedon Hatch completed the Olympian League double on Tuesday evening after a 1-0 win over Manford Way. Having won the Premier Division title on Saturday,  Kelvedon Hatch held on to the Senior League Cup by the most slender of margins in a tight game that was only settled deep into extra time. 

The game had started with a flourish as Hatch tested the Manford Way keeper with a few early crossed that needed to be cut out.  James Burt had the first real chance after 12 minutes when he fired a shot from outside the box that Richard Insole tipped away. The resulting corner also called Insole into action as he had to punch the ball away to safety. 

Reece Tranter then had a go for Manford Way latching onto a ball from midfield, rounding a defender and then firing a shot that was only narrowly wide. Momenst later the ball was at the other end with Lee Newton testing Insole, who again pulled off a fine save, tipping the ball away. 

Kelvedon Hatch were starting to get the ball into dangerous positions which resulted in Michael Daniels and Christopher Muir both rifling shots that were only just too high. Apart from a brief spell 5 minutes spell in the first half, Manford Way spent most of the remainder of it defending in numbers. The Manford Way attack mode started on 29 minutes when a cross from the left needed Danny Tapper to head away under pressure from Manford Way forwards. The ball was soon back in the Kelvedon box with Lee Meadows trying his luck with a header; his luck was out as the ball ended wide of the target. Suleyman Zuhdu then entertained the Manford Way fans with a mazy run that took him past several Kelvedon players but the chance then fizzled out before Zuhdu could fire a shot off, as Wakefield charged down the ball and snuffed out the danger.  

Hatch then went on the attack and one-touch passing move was started by Lee Cody, he then passed to Michael Daniels, who in turn played in James Burt whose charge on goal was halted by Tom Herbert who hooked the ball away from the Manford Way area. Hatch were passing with speed and procession but Manford Way were defending resolutely and were prepared to put bodies on the line.  Daniels showed a clean pair of heels as he weaved past three Manford Way players, laid the ball off to Muir, but he found himself under close guard of two defenders, which put an end to the danger. 

Manford Way  had the final say in the first half. They won a corner which swung in from the left and Callum Ibe was able to get his head on it and was only a fraction away from breaking the deadlock. It would have come in the final seconds of the half as the referee blew for half-time immediately after. 

Kelvedon Hatch almost took the lead in the opening stages of the second half when a ball over the top was picked up by Burt. He was able to sweep the ball past Insole and charged past him,  but by the time he gained possession of the ball he was at too tight an angle to take full advantage of the unguarded goal and the resulting shot clipped the bar. Insole also also thwarted Burt again five minutes later with a low dive to his left and also had to dive to his right to keep out a Newton header.  

Manford Way however started to dig in and took possession of the ball which stemmed Kelvedon’s attack but they were not able to muster too much of a threat themselves until the final minute when Zuhdu dinked over a cross from the left that almost sneeked in at the far post. 

The game now entered extra time and neither side were able to mount attacks as the game got bogged down in the midfield. Ibe mounted the first serious effort in the closing stages of the first period when he turned and flashed a shot just over the bar. The second period of extra time produced few goal scoring opportunities and the game looked like it was heading for penalties. The deadlock was finally broken in the closing stages;  Kelvedon Hatch launched a long throw in that was headed away by a Manford Way defender but the ball feel to Michael Daniels, who was just inside the penalty box and he lashed the ball past Insole to win the game in the most dramatic fashion.




Report from Scott Lanza