Season 1971-72

Last updated: February 19th, 2016.

Final League Tables

Cup Final Results

Herts County Cup Double

Sawbridgeworth and Bishops Stortford Swifts completed a clean sweep of the Hertfordshire County Cups, with Sawbridgeworth winning the Intermediate Cup and Bishops Stortford Swifts winning the Junior Cup.

A complete change of fortune saw Sawbridgeworth, who had finished in the bottom two in the previous three seasons, carry off not only the County Cup but also the Hertfordshire and Essex Border Cup, and finish top of our own Senior Division, one point clear of Chadwell Heath.

Bishops Stortford Reserves, in addition to their County Cup, were also beaten finalists in the Reserve Division Cup losing out to new team Herongate Athletic.

Herongate Athletic made an instant mark on the Reserve Division, ending the season as champions, three points clear of Billericay Town who, thanks to a change in the competition rules, were allowed to leave their reserve team in the Reserve Division whilst their first team moved on to the newly formed Essex Senior League.

Also joining Billericay Town in the new league were Basildon Town.

A.E.I. (Harlow) left the league, but as well as Herongate Athletic, Marconi Athletic were a further addition bringing the total number of teams playing in both the Senior and Reserve Divisions up to sixteen. The only Senior Team not to have a team in the Reserve Division were Essex & Southend Police.

For the fourth season running Brentwood Athletic made the final of the Senior Division Cup, but as on the previous three occasions, they again finished as losers in the final, this time to Chadwell Heath.

The Challenge Cup was shared between Billericay Town and Brentwood Athletic, who fought out a pre-season draw.

Two representative matches were played during the season against the Essex & Suffolk Border League and the newly formed Essex Senior League, but both were lost.


The Senior Division Cup semi-final between Brentwood Athletic and Essex & Southend Police, took three matches covering a total of 360 minutes. The first two matches ending as 1 – 1 draws after extra time, and the third match finishing 3 – 2 again after extra time.