Season 1980-81

Last updated: February 19th, 2016.

Final League Tables

Cup Final Results

Burnham Ramblers Fly The Flag

For the second season running, a team from the Essex Olympian League reached the final of the Essex Intermediate Cup. Unfortunately as happened to Herongate Athletic the previous season, Burnham Ramblers came away empty handed after going down by a single goal to Leytonstone and Ilford Reserves.

After finishing as runners-up to Essex Police in the previous season, Rayleigh Town repeated their success of the 1978/79 season by winning the Senior Division, this time by a clear eight points. For the fourth year running they also scored over 100 goals.

With their first team finishing as runners-up in the Senior Division, Herongate Athletic Reserves went one better in the Reserve Division and finished as Champions by seven points ahead of Rayleigh Town, having scored 101 goals which was exactly the same as the Senior Division Champions.

Runwell Hospital prevented Rayleigh Town from competing the double when, for the second season running, they overcame their neighbours in the final of the Senior Division Cup.

The Reserve Division Cup went to Writtle who, having finished third in the league and scored 104 league goals, beat Standard (Harlow) in the final

The Senior Division Challenge Cup went to Essex Police who defeated Runwell Hospital, and for the second season running Runwell Hospital won the Reserve Division Challenge Cup this time by beating Herongate Athletic.

The Sportsmanship Award went to Springfield First XI who were enjoying their first season in the league.

One representative match was played during the season, but it unfortunately saw the League suffer a defeat against the Southend Sunday League.

After what had been a very mild winter with very few disruptions to the programme, the heavens opened during April and May causing major disruptions to the final weeks of the season.

As a result of this the Senior Division Cup Final suffered two postponements before it was eventually played at Writtle in early June.