Season 1997-98

Last updated: February 25th, 2016.

Final League Tables

Cup Final Results

County Cup Success Again

The season ended on a strong note when, for the second time in five seasons, and in their third appearance in seven years, Kelvedon Hatch won the Essex Intermediate Cup by beating fellow Intermediate League Broomfield by a single goal.

What ended as a good season for Kelvedon Hatch, began with a win in the Senior Challenge Cup when they avenged the previous seasons Cup defeat by beating Danbury Trafford by two goals to one. Unfortunately Kelvedon Hatch Reserves could not repeat the win when they went down to Rayleigh Town by three goals to one in the Reserve Challenge Cup.

Two teams, Ongar Town, who had been with us since 1968, and South Woodham both left the league, to be replaced by Chalvedon and Brentwood Athletic who came back to us once again.

Senior Division One went right down to the last match of the season with Danbury Trafford ending up as Champions thanks to a win at Runwell Hospital. Both Frenford Senior and Kelvedon Hatch finished one point behind the champions but the runners-up spot went to Frenford Senior thanks to a superior goal difference.

Unfortunately Broomfield could not transfer their County Cup success into league points and finished just above Stambridge at the foot of the table.

Bishops Stortford Swifts had another good season gaining promotion as Senior Division Two champions and finishing as winners of the Senior Cup when they defeated local rivals Takeley by the odd goal in three in the final. Also promoted were Hatfield Peverel who bounced straight back after dropping a division at the end of the previous season.

After just one season in division two, Laindon Athletic dropped back a division finishing just two points ahead of Great Baddow.

Shell Club finished on top of Senior Division Three dropping only two points in the whole of the season and winning by a clear eight points from runners-up Eppingsale.

Frenford Senior secured the Reserve Division Championship in their first season in the division and rounded off three consecutive seasons when they had finished top of their division. As with Senior Division One, the runners-up spot was decided on goal difference with Runwell Hospital finishing five goals better off than Nortel (Harlow).

Nortel (Harlow) did not finish the season empty handed, as they ran out winners of the Reserve Division Cup beating Frenford Senior by a single goal in a seven goal thriller.

Takeley finished top of Reserve Division Two and, with Sandon Royals, changed places with Herongate Athletic and Old Chelmsfordians in the top flight for the coming season.

After just one season in Reserve Division Two both Stambridge and Galleywood returned to the Third Division.

Moving up from Reserve Division Three were Upminster and Laindon Athletic. In becoming champions, Upminster scored no fewer than 104 goals and ended up with a goal difference of plus 80.

Runwell Hospital reached the final of two charity competitions but lost out to Hullbridge United in the Southend Charity Cup and Danbury Trafford in the Bill Spurgeon Charity Cup.

Barnston A.F.C. had the indignity of finishing bottom of both the Senior and Reserve Division Tables gaining only 15 points between them. The Barnston first team did however win the Sportsmanship award which was a major credit to the team. Both Coggeshall Town and Barnston Reserves finished the season having conceded over 100 goals.