Season 1998-99

Last updated: February 25th, 2016.

Final League Tables

Cup Final Results

Wet, Wet, Wet

The main winner this season was the weather with a total of 209 matches being lost due to the rain. The rain started in mid October and had a major effect on fixtures especially in January when a total of 92 matches were lost during the month.

The season started with the shock news that the previous seasons champions Danbury Trafford had folded and with the loss of Coggeshall Town, who went back to junior football, and Hullbridge United, the league found itself with three teams less than last season. The league were therefore pleased to welcome Leyton who joined us and were placed into Senior Division Two.

For the second season running Kelvedon Hatch won the Essex Intermediate Cup and this season Bishops Stortford Swifts were runners-up in the Hertfordshire Intermediate Cup

With the demise of Danbury Trafford, we were certain to have new champions and the season proved to be a very good one for Bishops Stortford Swifts. They started the season by defeating Frenford Senior in the Senior Challenge Cup and ended the season as Senior Division One Champions and Senior Cup winners, overcoming Takeley for the second season running in the final.

After coming third from bottom the previous season, Writtle could not avoid the drop finishing just one point ahead of Herongate Athletic. Both clubs won only one league match each during the season.

Sandon Royals won promotion from Senior Division Two with Leyton finishing as runners up by a single point in their first season with us. After being relegated from Senior Division One last season, Stambridge dropped into Senior Division Three following the win by Broomfield at Benfleet on the last Saturday of the season. Old Chelmsfordians also dropped a division but, with only three points covering the bottom seven teams, it had been a tight thing right to the end.

After a disastrous previous season, Barnston A.F.C. bounced back to finish as runner-up to Basildon Town in Senior Division Three and so gain promotion for the first time in the teams history.

In the Reserve section, Frenford Senior also completed a double. After beating Nortel (Harlow) in the Reserve Challenge Cup at the start of the season, Frenford Senior finished as Reserve Division One Champions for the second season running and maintained their record of winning their respective division every season since they joined the league in 1995. Takeley finished as runners-up but only after a five match undefeated run ended with a last match of the season defeat at home to neighbours Bishops Stortford Swifts.

After finishing as runners up last season, Runwell Hospital ended up relegated to Reserve Division Two with Harold Wood Athletic.

Essex Police won Reserve Division Two with Benfleet finishing runners-up just two points behind. Benfleet also finished as runners-up in the Reserve Cup which was won by Kelvedon Hatch

After just one season in the division Laindon Athletic ended up just above Great Baddow at the foot of Reserve Division Two .

Metpol Chigwell finished top of Reserve Division Three with Mountnessing just one point behind them.

Galleywood reached the final of the Bill Spurgeon cup but lost out to Witham Town and Shell Club lost out to Shoebury Town in the final of the Southend Charity Cup.

White Notley became the first team from our league to win the Tolleshunt D’Arcy Memorial Cup, while Barnston A.F.C. finished a good season by winning both the Division One and Premier Division of the Saffron Walden Cup.

For the second season running Essex Police won the Southern Division Police Cup, and this year added the No. 5 Regional Police Cup to their trophy cabinet.

Bishops Stortford Swifts became the first team to win Senior Division One in the season after winning Senior Division Two. Not only that but this season saw them complete the hat-trick by being champions of Divisions Three, Two and One in consequtive seasons.