Another Close Fought Season

Season 2012-2013 will be remembered for a series of close fought finishes across the divisions once again the weather gets a mention with major disruption to fixtures in the middle of winter but fortunately not in the run in.

In Senior Division Three Debden Sports took the title and a close finish for second spot between Toby and Shenfield eventually resulted in Toby clinching runners up spot by one point.

In Senior Division Two Old Barkabbeyans followed up last season’s promotion success by topping Division Two without losing a game and a goal difference of plus 74. Leigh Ramblers did well to stay in touch and claim second place.

Bishops Stortford Swifts return to the Premier Division as champions of Division One. Several Clubs were involved in the scrap for second spot with Wadham Lodge finally clinching it by one point from Newbury Forest after a 1-1 draw against the champions in their last game.

The Premier Division top two places eventually ended up the same as last season but this was only after a tense finish with Kelvedon having finished their fixtures early only Frenford could overtake them. A challenging fixture list with 7 games played in 21 days saw Frenford take 19 out of 21 points to take the title.

In the Reserve section the theme of tight finishes continued.

In Reserve Division Three new team Benfleet were champions by one point from runners up Stambridge United.

White Ensign ran out winners in Reserve Two with Old Chelmsfordians runners up.

In the top division Harold Wood following a strong finish took the title by one point with Frenford runers up.

The Senior Division Cup Final saw a closely fought contest between Frenford and Springfield of Division One. Just when it looked like the dreaded penalty shoot out was needed to separate the sides Frenford snatched an extra time winner to win the Cup and achieve a notable League and Cup double.

White Ensign also did the double by beating First Division Canning Town to take the Reserve Cup Final.

Sadly the Denny King Cup was a victim of the weather.

The League had two teams in the Junior Cup semi finals with Rayleigh Town eventually finishing runners up to Cranham of the Mid Essex League.

Our representation in the latter stages of the Saturday Premier Cup has been high for a number of seasons and with 6 Clubs in the quarter finals including division three Toby and division one Wadham Lodge hopes were high again.

It was Wadham that made it through to the final finishing runners up in their first appearance.